- Status: For Rent
- Furnishings: Fully Furnished
- Pool: No
With ample space one can indulge in relaxation and elegance from the semi-circular coral stone portico and wrap around terrace to the well appointed suites. The Great House has a hosted many influential persons throughout the years, which in addition the above mentioned could be due to its arrangement and pool layout.
Summer US$ 5,927
Winter US$ 8,400
From the moment one enters The Great House through a semi-circular coral stone portico into the cool serenity of a double height hall dominated by a wide swath of stairs, one is instantly reminded of the heady bygone days of Caribbean splendor. Once the Barbados hideaway of Sir Evelyn de Rothschild and his elegant wife Victoria, this is a beach house that has played host to the great and the good of stage, screen, politics and high finance.
The main house with its Palladian influences is framed with jalousie shutters; sweeping verandahs face the sea and latticework covered walkways connect the bar, dining areas and the four charming guest cottages designed as indigenous chattel houses, all cleverly blended into the landscape. The ground floor of the main house has a spacious entrance hall, reception rooms, piano room, wrap-around covered terraces and one bedroom suite and a bedroom suite with cobbled courtyard. The sweeping staircase leads up to the remaining three bedroom suites, each with its own balcony. All four suites are uniquely furnished with sumptuously comfortable beds dressed in Ralph Lauren linen; three have double beds while one has twin beds.
Every aspect of The Great House encourages guests to enjoy themselves in the way they choose. There is ample space to indulge yourself in moments of solitude, yet the arrangement of the house and chattels around the pool invites sociability. The service, while always attentive, is unobtrusive.
- Private location
- Double height hall
- Coral stone portico
- Four guest cottages
- Beach front luxury villa
- Balconies from bedrooms
- Wrap around covered terrace
- Ralph Lauren linen dressed beds
Amenities:Air conditioning, All bedrooms en suite, Beach bar close by, Beach front, Breezy location, Ceiling fans in all bedrooms, Ceiling fans in living room, Covered terrace, Established gardens, Family location, Fully gated, Garden view, Luxury Finishes, Night watchman, Private beach access, Private location, Restaurants close by, Sea Views, Security Safe, Sun terrace
|04/15/2017 - 12/14/2017||Summer||8||US$ 5,927|
|12/15/2017 - 04/14/2018||Winter||8||US$ 8,400|
Special rates apply for Christmas and New Year, All rates subject to 7.5% VAT
- The Fish Pot
- Port St. Charles
- Mullins Beach Bar and Restaurant
- Shell Gallery
- Arlington Museum
- Speightstown Mall
- Sugar Cane Restaurant and Spa
- Fisherman's pub: This is one of the best places on island to experience true ‘Bajan’ food, ranging from fish cakes, baked pork to pepperpot beef stew set within an authentic ‘rum shop’ design.
- Arlington House: Housed in a restored eighteenth century building, Arlington House is an interactive three-story museum that is both educational and engaging. Children in particular will love the interactive and audio visual features of the museum and the whole family will enjoy learning about Barbados' heritage.
- Port St Charles Yacht Club: Full service bar and restaurant offering international cuisine prepared by a World Class chef, with a panoramic view of Port St. Charles beach along the West Coast; has been deservingly coined the phrase ‘Simply Paradise’. Use by members only.
- Archer's Hall Design Centre: Offering unique West Indian pieces within a 17th century showroom.
- Orange Street Corner Grocer: Great European style bistro making fantastic homemade pizzas.
- Speightstown Mall: This mall has a variety of stores ranging from a convenience store, clothing stores, Bank, art gallery, and fruit and vegetable vendors.
- East Moon Restaurant: The only Chinese restaurant on the north of the island within a chattel house at reasonable prices.
- Little Good Harbour: Just minutes north of Port St Charles, this charming cluster of cottages, nestled around two swimming pools and lush gardens, epitomizes the best of Caribbean architecture. Located in the tranquil little fishing community of Shermans, Little Good Harbour's luxury guest cottages impart the unique individuality of one of the last family-run ocean front hotels on the fashionable west coast of Barbados
- Fish Pot Restaurant: Dining at the Fish Pot restaurant located within Little Good Harbour is a fantastic way to experience the Northern side of the country. Set in the small eighteenth-century fort at the water's edge, the restaurant is airy and informal, the restaurant offers a truly gourmet dining experience in delightful surroundings.
- Banking Institutions: There are 4 banks available in Speightstown, these are Royal Bank of Canada, Republic Bank and First Caribbean International Bank.
- Jordan’s Supermarket: Providing all the items you need to make your stay feel at home and ease.
- Wave rider: This casual restaurant serves lunch, dinner and drinks with a breathtaking view of the sea.
- Six Men’s Fish Market: A popular fish market provides a fresh variety of fish from dolphin, marlin, tuna and of course flying fish. The market becomes alive on Friday night where the adjacent rum shop plays music and serves drink.
- Gallery of Caribbean Art: This prestigious facility hosts numerous exhibitions throughout the year, highlighting the work of the region's finest artists, sculptors and photographers.